THE MAROSTICA CHESS GAME – the famous human chess game played in Italy
Known all over the world, the human chess game of Marostica is the most famous historical reenactment in Italy. More than 14 thousand people come every two years to Marostica to see this original love duel taking place on the giant marble chess board in the square. It is a spectacular and enchanting show both for young and old.
HUMAN CHESS GAME IN MAROSTICA- For three days the Chess Square is animated by 600 characters with historical costumes recreating the splendour of medieval courts. From the flaming arrows opening the show to the Grand Finale with the Lower Castle seemingly set on fire, numerous knights, dames, dancers, musicians and flag-wavers animate the evening. According to the legend this marvelous game was organized for the first time in 1454 by the governor of the city, Taddeo Parisio. Many people were invited to watch the duel between Rinaldo d'Angarano and Vieri da Vallonara, two noblemen who were both in love with the beautiful Lionora, the governor’s daughter. The winner was decided by playing the noble game of chess with human pieces and the prize was Lionora’s hand in marriage.
THE HISTORICAL REENACTMENT OF THE LIVING CHESS GAME- Some useful information to enjoy the show at its best:
- The Chess Game is played in Marostica during the second weekend of September, on even years. The next shows will be on September 9th, 10th and 11th 2016.
- The show starts every evening at 9 p.m.; on Sunday there is also an afternoon show at 5 p.m. In the evening the atmosphere is more suggestive thanks to light effects and fireworks.
- The proper chess game is part of a longer show lasting 2 hours and a half.
- Seats are numbered and divided into sections with different prices.
- Ticket prices vary according to the day of the show; the cheapest show is on Sunday afternoon, the most expensive on Saturday evening.
BOOKING YOUR ROOM- Since our hotel is the only one inside Marostica’s medieval walls and it is only 30 metres far from the square where the game is played, we strongly recommend you book the room well in advance. Being our guest, in addition to the amenities of the type of room booked, you will benefit from:
- a free pass to enter the Restricted Traffic Zone
- free use of private car park and underground garage
- ticket reservation service - we will choose the best seats available for you
- you will find your tickets at the hotel when checking-in – without queuing at the ticket office
Only here you can find:
- Best available rates and offers
- Buffet Breakfast included in the rate
- free private parking space
- 10% discount at Restaurant Cuori
- Free city bike
- children stay for free up to 3 years old
to choose Due Mori
- It is the only hotel inside Marostica’s medieval walls
- Rooms with a view of the medieval town and castles
- Monica is a professional tourist guide
- Wide rooms furnished with natural materials
- Private car park and city-bikes